Friday, June 17, 2005

Huh?


Huh?
Originally uploaded by Sarah Snavely.
So, I'm sitting here tonight vegging out and doing a little work on the laptop for kids church (Tony is at a campout with some of the Rangers from church), when the Big Brother at our house picks up a pen and some paper to make a picture for his friend Josh. Once he fills the paper with circles and squiggles, he asks me, "Mom, how do you spell Josh?"

I'm absorbed in what I'm doing and don't answer soon enough, so he says, "Josh starts with 'j', right, Mom?"

"Mmhmm...", I reply.

"How do you make a 'j'? Like this?"

I finally pull myself out of what I'm doing and look at his picture to find he has started Josh's name on his own! He made a letter 'j'! Wow! As is evidenced by the masking tape 'f' on our basement floor, our feeble attempt at homeschool preschool only took us through the letter 'f' this year. And we didn't really learn to write any of the letters. My son has learned all by himself how to make a letter 'j'.

Well, that got me to thinking...how many letters can he make on his own? We finished Josh, then did Haven, Travis and Stacie, all with minimal assistance. I think I must have the smartest 3 1/2 year old around! I got around to suggesting writing the alphabet about the time he ran out of steam, but he did write ABCD for me. His letters are legible, too. Needless to say, I am impressed!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, that's really cool! He's a smart kid! Rayne is turning three next week, and she occasionally asks me to teach her to read. We'll see when I can get around to it, though, since I'm pretty busy with her, her little sister, and her newborn brother. She may eventually give up on waiting for me and just teach herself.